According to the national Council of Residential Specialists, today's homebuyers are looking for properties that are technologically savvy and environmentally friendly. Here are some of the features buyers are looking for nationwide.
- Green features...
- High-efficiency appliances, furnace/AC and lighting
- Tankless water heaters
- Energy-saving dual-paned windows
- Tech savvy...
- Smart thermostats that can be controlled by a mobile device and detect your daily patterns and adjust temperature according to when you are home and away
- Smart smoke detectors that allow you to receive alerts on your cellphone
- Security cameras at entry points and the garage
- Smaller, energy efficient homes...
- Shift away from big, 'swagger' homes
- Eco-friendly homes closer to town
- Cut down on commute time and energy
- Interior cozy comfort...
- Small, intimate tucked-away spaces like 'pocket libraries' that give privacy and break up today's big, open floor plans
- Granite is out... stone composites, Carrera marble, quartz, even laminates are the popular finishes in kitchens and bathrooms
- Spa-like showers with extra faucets and steam instead of Jacuzzi tubs
- Dedicated office space with Wi-Fi and Internet already hooked up
- Small, extra room where they can go to escape partner's snoring
- Connecting to nature...
- Homes that put them closer to the outdoors
- Screened-in porches
- 3- and 4-season porches with little gas stoves or gas fireplaces
- Outdoor kitchens
- Planning ahead...
- At least one bedroom on the main floor, even if they don't plan to use it as a bedroom right now
- Walk-in closet designed for easy conversion into space for an elevator in the future
Sharlene Hensrud, RE/MAX Results - Minneapolis-St. Paul Realtor