Red front doors are not only popular now for creating curb appeal, they are steeped in history and meaning throughout the ages. It can symbolize many different things, but red means "Welcome" in almost any culture.
- In Scotland, home owners paint their front door red when they pay off their mortgage
- In Ireland, a red door is thought to ward off ghosts or evil spirits
- The ancient Hebrews believed a red front door would protect firstborn children from the angel of death
- In the early days of America, a red front door meant the home was a safe place for travelers to stop for the night
- According to Feng Shui, a red front door invites positive energy into a home
- In China, it is a tradition to paint your front door red before the New Year to invite good luck and happiness into your home
If you decide to paint your front door red, you are in good company! Your front door can make a huge impact on your curb appeal and how people perceive your home. That is probably why your front door consistenly gives a high Return On Investment (ROI).
Sharlene Hensrud, Twin Cities Agent for selling your home and buying a home