I start to salivate just thinking about the luscious pastries and baked goods at A Baker's Wife... a small, local corner bakery in the heart of the Standish Ericsson neighborhoods of south Minneapolis that has been at the corner of 42nd Street and 28th Avenue South for over 50 years.
My first experience with this amazing bakery was eating cake... a birthday cake so delicious I had to ask what corner of the universe it came from... and I was introduced to A Baker's Wife. I have since learned that their shop is bursting... both with their wonderful cakes, pastries and breads... and with people... it is tiny, but oh so good...
I learned their flaky/gooey/cinnamony thingy is called an American tea cake... incredible when it is still warm. CASH or check only, great prices, awarded Best Bakery 2008 by City Pages... 4200 28th Ave S, Minneapolis.
The Standish Ericsson neighborhoods are minutes from downtown Minneapolis... with premier city parks, Minnehaha Parkway and LRT transit all nearby, meaning they also have easy access to the airport and Mall of America. Founded by Swedes and Norwegians in the early 1900s, the streets are lined with charming, well cared for homes in stable, thriving and quiet neighborhoods with a strong sense of community. A Baker's Wife is just one example of what makes this a wonderful neighborhood to call home.
- Sunday's Site - Minnehaha Parkway, Minneapolis
- Sunday's Site - Minnehaha Falls Park
- Sunday's Site - Dominguez Family Mexican Restaurant and Grill, Minneapolis
- Sunday's Site - Longfellow Neighborhood
- Where is HomesMSP? - bakeries
- Sunday's Site - American Swedish Institute, Minneapolis
- Scandinavian American Heritage
- Sunday's Site - Ingebretsen's Scandinavian Gifts & Foods